The name Maine Road did not appear until the 1870s before which it was called Dog Kennel Lane.
The Maine Road site was farm land before the encroachment of housing during the industrial revolution. The Maine Road site was a brick works before becoming the ground of Manchester City football club in 1923.
Prior to coming to Moss Side, Manchester City Football Club’s home was Hyde Road in east Manchester. As the club outgrew this site they investigated possible new venues close by. None were considered to be suitable and, much to the disappointment of many fans, the club bought the Maine Road site for £5500 freehold. Manchester City then built what was thought the most modern of stadia which would hold 10,000 in a covered grandstand and a further 75,000 on raised terraces around the ground. It was an immense capacity for a club whose average crowd was 40,000. The stadium was designed by Manchester architect Charles Swain and opened for the 1923 season. Manchester City’s first game was against Sheffield United on 25th August 1923. They won 2:1 in front of a crowd of 58,000.
On March 3rd 1934, when Manchester City played Stoke, the ground set a new attendance record of 84,569.
During the war Manchester United also played on the site as their ground had been bombed.
Manchester city moved to their new home, the City of Manchester Stadium, in 2003